ME!

My name is Josh. I was born just across the road at Riverside Community Hospital, about 30 (Eeeeek!) years ago! My family is third generation Riversidians (Word!?) My Grandfather planted some of the big orange groves with his father out near Victoria, which luckily is still greenbelt, kind of. I have lived all over southern California; I spent my formative teenage years in San Diego. My years in San Diego, and fishing trips to the Sierra with my Grandpa were very important in cultivating my respect for the environment.
In 2002 I joined the Army, and for seven years of my life jumped out of airplanes, and spent copious amounts of time going after “bad guys”, when it came time for me to leave that life behind I decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail (or AT). The AT runs from Georgia to Maine, while I was walking, and walking, and walking I decided that two key elements would have to be met for me to be happy with a career in the future, I would have to be helping people, or the environment, or both.
To do this I had to improve my skill set, namely learning skills that didn’t just include kicking in doors, so here I am! I want to combine my love for Sociology and the Life Sciences into some kind of super awesome superpower that will help me help people live more sustainably, change our consumption culture, and de-mystify the stigma against being “Green”, its not bad! I want to help myself, and my community, get to where we are sustaining ourselves on one Earth, rather than needing several at the detriment to some poor folks living more efficiently than ourselves!
I like hiking, long walks on the beach, cooking, fixing things, riding my bike, playing with my super awesome dog Jade, growing facial hair, flannels and tattoo’s. I think the biggest thing I want to learn during this class is the framework in which these Sciences are currently residing in, who is in there and what they are doing, and how we can use these people and brains to change the world!



Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Exponential Growth!


  • Post a brief summary (1-2 paragraphs) explaining something interesting you learned in Chapter 1 or in class this week.

Okay, let me tell you about on of the things I learned about in class this past week, exponential growth. I have a pretty good grasp of whats going on in the world, but this blew my freaking mind! Obviously, one of the things that affect our environment is the sheer number of humans that have reproduced like unchecked rabbits, for the past two million or so years. This large volume of human biomass (I call it that because I think that is all some of it counts as!) grew steadily until the industrial revolution. In the mid 1700's it started, machines took over jobs humans had traditionally done, soon we were able to produce more things quicker. Food, medicine, and clothing were easily obtained, comfort increased, as did nutrition, and we were able to extract energy more efficiently from the Earth. We saw a leap in worldwide human population growth. Its estimated that even with a slower population growth (Around 1%, compared to 2% in the past) that humans will exceed 10 billion by 2050! The question posed is: "How much can the Earth handle"?, and not only that, how much suffering will happen to the "Have not's" when the global population of more powerful countries keeps growing? some will be able to maintain their lifestyle and most will suffer. How will we deal with the enormous amount of waste produced by so many consumers living beyond their means? Exponential growth is well documented, have a look at the graph above (Ecology.org) and you can see that our numbers are rising at an alarming rate. The science behind this lies in a simple mathematical formula, that when applied to our population rates, makes us Homo sapiens look like some kind of run away lab experiment! No wonder wild lands are under siege, we need the room! Have a look at this website and think about why our population is so out of control.....

http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/how-populations-grow-the-exponential-and-logistic-13240157

1 comments:

DraDay said...

Josh, first off let me say thank you for your service to our country. I'm very familiar with Riverside Community Hospital. Three of my children were born there.

I'm interested to know more about your hike through the AT...how long did that take you? I'm sure at least a couple of hours - LOL

 
Copyright© Josh's Footprint.